Feb 24 2009
10 Young Adult Innovations: From the 30 U 30 Group
Since its inception in 2007, the Filene Research Institute’s 30 Under 30 group has worked toward the goals of attracting:
- Younger members.
- Younger professionals.
- A new generation of volunteers.
This report highlights 10 business plans created by the 30 U 30 group, each of which aligns a facet of young adult life with credit unions’ needs. From recruiting programs to innovative savings products, and from volunteer panels to employee consulting, this national group of rising credit union talent shows what kind of innovation is needed to keep credit unions relevant and essential for a new generation of members and leaders. Specificially:
Plans for Younger Members
- Change Your Savings: Harnesses the power of debit to fund worthy goals.
- CUre Card: Members improve their communities with a credit union card—“a dime every time.”
- GrassHopper: Life planning meets credit union products.
- Mortgage Down Payment Accelerator: Rewards those who are saving for a home.
- Win–Win Savings: Prize-based savings for young adults.
- What’s Next?: A responsible way to build credit and save.
Plans for Talented Young Professionals
- Shared Staffing: Short-term sabbaticals for professional development and credit union cooperation.
- Gen Y Fast Track: Mentorships and job rotation for superior retention.
- iAdvanceCU.com: Credit union career paths and improved recruiting.
A Plan for Younger Volunteers
- Member Advisory Panel (MAP): Connecting young adult volunteers with credit union leaders.
Visit CU Tomorrow for additional information and an expanded business brief for each project.
Managing Director, Research
Report Number 177