May 30 2013
Research Event / Thursday, May 30, 2013
Future of Payments Colloquium
Join us from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.: Shifting consumer preferences, startup disruptors, smartphone apps, digital wallets, person-to-person payments, and changing plastic card standards are all facets of an uncertain payments market. Household names like Visa, Google, and PayPal are pitted against startups like Square and Dwolla. Credit unions and credit union partners are responsible for building capabilities and staying flexible enough in the meantime to assure that members will have the options they want.
Download the pre-reading packet here. (This includes the agenda, attendee list & directions.)
Today in payments, the questions rule:
- How should credit unions plan strategically in such an uncertain environment?
- What are the emerging systems that promise the most opportunity for small financial institutions like credit unions?
- What are the likely payments scenarios over the next five years?
- What are the known unknowns in the market?
This full-day colloquium addresses those questions directly and will feature insights and scenario planning from McKinsey & Co., which runs one of the world's preeminent payments consulting practices.
- Emerging Payments Showcase - What new channels are most likely to disrupt the current marketplace? What do the longshots look like?
- Digital Wallet Overview - Everybody from Apple to Walmart to American Express wants a finger in tomorrow's digital wallet. An interesting recent development is MCX, a consortium of merchants bring a retailer perspective to wallet development. Learn what it will look like and how credit unions can reserve their own spot in it.
- Credit Union Payment Providers - How are today's credit union payments companies in the U.S. and Canada preparing for the new normal? Providers present their views and answer expert questions.
- Scenario Planning - Several scenarios are possible as the market sorts out. We talk you through the most likely and how credit unions should respond to each.
Download the full AGENDA
|8:00 – 9:00||Registration/Breakfast|
|9:00 – 9:30||
Mountain America Credit Union | Utah’s Credit Unions | Filene
|9:30 – 10:45||
Emerging Payments Showcase and Digital Wallet Overview|
|10:45 – 11:00||Break|
|11:00 – 11:30||
Credit Unions in the Canadian Payments Milieu|
Credit Union Central of Canada
|11:30 – 12:15||Lunch/Networking|
|12:15 – 1:45||
Service Provider Panel and Audience Discussion|
CO-OP FS | CSCU | Fiserv | PSCU – Moderated by McKinsey
|1:45 – 2:00||Break|
|2:00 – 3:30||
Payments Scenarios for Credit Unions with Open Discussion and Breakouts|
Presented/Moderated by McKinsey
Filene & McKinsey
The event is free to register for Filene members in good standing.
Participants are encouraged to make a voluntary contribution of $250 to help cover the costs of the event. Participants are responsible for paying their own travel and lodging costs.
Mountain America Credit Union
H. Floyd Tanner Auditorium
7167 South Center Park Drive
West Jordan, UT | Map & Directions
The colloquium is just 20 minutes from Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC). There is no formal room block, and the nearby Hampton Inn & Suites, Salt Lake City-West Jordan is completely booked, so we suggest one of the airport hotels as an alternative. This airport hotel guide lists several.