Our two-year innovation leadership program equips top credit union professionals with the mindset, tools and network to lead and shape the future. Together they'll explore complex problems, see with new perspective, discover breakout solutions.Learn More
Twenty-three credit union leaders come together to form the new cohort of the Filene i3 Program. Now in its 16th year running, Filene i3 is a two-year innovation leadership program equipping top credit union professionals with the mindset, tools, and network to lead and shape the credit union of the 21st Century.
Collectively, the i3 community can be counted on to produce ideas and examples that yield change across the credit union system, leading to healthier institutions and communities.
A new twist on the i3 concept puts ‘impact’ at the center—to maximize impact at the individual, organizational and system or community levels. Programming and learning modules will transform individuals by strengthening the skills and behaviors necessary for innovative change makers, elevate organizations by reducing risk and accelerating the best ideas in and out of the industry, and strengthen communities by building a collaborative community focused on innovative consumer finance solutions.
“The program’s applied learning model teaches participants Filene’s method of innovation by guiding them through the development of a prototype solution for a challenge facing their respective credit union or community,” said Filene’s President & CEO, Mark Meyer. “With access to Filene’s research, experts and fellows—plus technical assistance on designing solutions and opportunities to build on successful prototypes—participants are set up for maximum success personally and bring maximum value to their credit unions.”
The ultimate goal of i3 is to produce credit union leaders that think forward and change lives by leading innovation initiatives at their credit unions that bring about new products, processes, and business models that strengthen credit unions and their members’ financial well-being. Collectively, the i3 community can be counted on to produce ideas and examples that yield change across the credit union system, leading to healthier institutions and communities.
“I’m looking forward to participating in Filene’s i3 program to explore the impact strategy, innovation, and design thinking can have on our industry,” said Ami Iceman-Haueter, AVP of Research and Digital Experience at Michigan State University FCU. “I know I will walk away with a diverse set of tools to take back to my team and to share throughout the industry, and a new perspective on how to create a positive experience for members.”
Joining the ranks of more than 260 credit union leaders already within the Filene i3 community are:
- Ami Iceman-Haueter, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union, AVP of Research & Digital Experience
- Anne Kirksey, ELGA Credit Union, Marketing Manager
- Ben Maxim, Michigan State University Federal Credit Union, AVP of Digital Strategy & Innovation
- Brad Darling, Golden 1 Credit Union, Senior Manager of Card and Fraud Services
- Christina Wilkerson, SchoolsFirst Federal Credit Union, Manager
- Evan Mulcahy, Credit Union 1, Director of Innovation
- Gabriel Reyes-Oropeza, Travis Credit Union, Business Analytics Consultant
- Gana Narayan, BECU, Digital Payments Product Manager
- Hazelmae Overturf, BECU, Senior Manager of Learning & Development
- Jeffrey Staw, Open Technology Solutions, Chief Innovation Officer
- Jill Edsall, Chartway Federal Credit Union, Director of Learning & Talent Development
- John Nichols, Advantis Credit Union, Vice President of Marketing
- Lauren Jones, Credit Union of Colorado, Innovation Coordinator
- Lynette Cupps, MAX Credit Union, VP of Member Innovation
- Mai-Linh Hoang, Collins Community Credit Union, VP of Marketing
- Martin Walker, Sound Credit Union, VP of Digital Experience & Innovation
- Paul Hinrichsen, GTE Financial, Product Manager
- Randy Stolp, My Community Credit Union, Chief Information Officer
- Sara Kraft, Wings Financial Credit Union, Manager of Commercial Services & Commercial Credit
- Shanda Reaves, Chartway Federal Credit Union, Project Manager
- Shawn Gygi, Teachers Credit Union, Director of Financial Management
- Theresa Tschumperlin, Saint Cloud Financial Credit Union, Chief Operating Officer
- Todd Kern, Frontwave Credit Union, Chief Marketing Officer
“Joining i3 offers me the opportunity to connect and collaborate with diverse, forward-thinking credit union thought-leaders and change-makers. I’m sincerely humbled and in awe of the potential and the possibility we are going to amass together,” said Hazelmae Overturf, BECU’s Senior Manager of Learning & Development. “I’m most excited to leverage innovation to continue ‘future-proofing’ credit unions. It’s not only about solving today’s problems but preparing for tomorrow and onward!”
Filene i3 members work in cross-functional teams to practice innovation through four experiential training modules: Building Skills to Drive Change; Insights and Ideation; Co-Creation and Proof of Concept; and Testing and Evaluation. Learn more about the program and learning modules at filene.org/i3. Generous support for the Filene i3 program is provided by McDermott + Bull and Origence, a CU Direct brand.
The new i3 members will kick off their two-year development journey to address the biggest issues facing the credit union industry in March 2021 and will present their progress to-date to the credit union industry at Filene’s big.bright.minds event in October.